Manasa Institute of Child Health and Disability Studies (MICHADS)endeavors to promote and strengthen child health and comprehensive rehabilitation services to transform the lives of children, persons with disabilities and their families through service delivery, training and research programs. The organization has all the facilities to provide facility based and community based child health and disability rehabilitation services and takes up contextual training and research programs.
Advocacy, Training (HRD), Capacity Development and Policy Research in Child Health and Disability Rehabilitation are the thrust areas of MICHADS.
MICHADS emphasizes on rights based empowerment focusing on Full Life Cycle Needs (FLCN), Holistic Development (HD) and Access to enabling and empowering environment (A2E). FLCN covers programs of prevention, identification, early intervention, education, vocational training, livelihood and independent living services, while holistic development programs will provide physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, audiological services, psychological therapy, music and art therapy, family support and works on creating enabling and empowering environment by building capacities in the community towards barrier free environment, community mobilization and self-help group formation and activation.HD includes mental and physical wellbeing, healthy growth and development of the child and overall development of the persons with disabilities. A2E depicts the access to health for children at all levels (preventive, primary, secondary and tertiary); education training, employment and all other opportunities required to live independently for the persons with disability towards an inclusive society.
MICHADS main centre is a four storied own building in serene surroundings located in Hyderabad with Child health and rehab clinical services (Neurodevelopmental Clinic with Medical, Nutrition, OT, PT, Speech & Audiology, Optometry & Psychology)and Centre for Severe Disabilities in 1st Floor; Special Education Centre, Early Intervention, , Centre for ASDs and Vocational Training Unit in 2nd Floor; Administration, Office, Meeting Hall, Canteen in 3rdFloor; and Library, Class rooms & Seminar Hall in 4rth Floor. The entire premises is “Barrier – Free” equipped with Staircase, Lift and Ramp &railing.
Before 1990 there were very few health and rehabilitation facilities in Hyderabad for children with disabilities. The existing facilities could not cater the needs of many special children. The services to train an Intellectually Challenged child are very expensive and not within the reach of a common man and admissions were restricted to only mild and moderately retarded students. A motivatedgroup of 13 lecturers (one among them is a mother of a special child) from Raja BahadurVenket Rama Reddy Women’s College, Narayanaguda, have planned to establish a voluntary organization for the rehabilitation and integration of Intellectually Challenged by contributing some of their savings and effort. They are supported by their family members and friends. MANASA was established on 26/02/1991 by 13 women academicians of Raja BahadurVenket Rama Reddy Women’s College, Narayanaguda. MANASA is a registered, non- profit organisation. MANASA Special school was started on 30/08/1991 in a small rented premises at Barkatpura, Hyderabad – 29; with one teacher and one ayah. There were only 3 students during 1991. Presently the school is functioning in its own building at Mohan Nagar, Kothapet covering 85 beneficiaries with all required manpower and infrastructure. The founder members are:
Mrs. Satyamma Bharadwaja
Mrs. R.M. Vanaja Bharath
Dr. M. Bharathi
Mrs. G.S.R. Komalavalli
Mrs. P. Sarvalaxmi
Mrs. B. Geetha
Late Mrs. L. Devaki Ramdas
Dr. K. Annapurna
Mrs. C. Neeraja
Mrs. V. Shantha Kumari
Dr. G. Seshikala
Mrs. S. Mani
Late Dr. Ravi Bharathi Reddy
CREDIBILITY &LEGAL STATUS:
- Registered under AP Public Societies Registration Act 1350 F
- Registered U/S 12A & 80G of IT Act 1961 on 05/07/1991
- Received GIA from MSJ&E, GoI for the period 1995 to 2002.
- Registered with MHA, GoI under FCRA in the year 2001 and it will be valid till 31.10.2021.
- Registered with Government of AP under section 52 of PWD Act 1995 in the year 2005.
- Registered with National Trust, Ministry of Social Justice Empowerment, Government of India under National Trust Act 1999 and will be valid till February 2022.
- Registered with Planning Commission of India under Government – NGO Partnership.
- 80 G sanctioned for life time (order dated 28.08.2012).
- Accredited by Credibility Alliance, Delhi under desirable norms for good governance, transparency and accountability.
- Empanelled with NCSR Hub, TISS – Bombay.
Support by Donors and Well-wishers:
- AP Government sanctioned a piece of land measuring 960 Sq.yards for nominal cost during December 2008
- Plan consisting of stilt + 4 upper floors each measuring 3230 Sq.feets was approved by GHMC by waiving entire municipal fee.
- GAIL (India) Ltd., sanctioned 44.4 lakhs under CSR for the construction of 2, 3 floors and lift.
- Rs.25 Lakhs were sanctioned by Dr. T. Subbi Rami Reddy garu under MPLADS for 4 th floor.
- ASHA for Education, USA sanctioned funds for the construction, AXISCADES and LEXICON Finance
- ManasaVikasaGamyam -2022 is supported by Sri Gopi Krishna Private Ltd., Hyderabad under CSR.
- Children and adults with disabilities
- Parents, Siblings, family members and community leaders
- Other NGOs working for similar cause
- State and Central Governments
- National Institutes of repute
“A blooming lotus in Manasa Sarovar during a pleasant dawn with piercing beams”.
Manasa Sarovar is located in Himalayas at very high point from sea level with a wonderful light, symbolised for purity and sanctity and is said to be a place of knowledge and ‘vairagya’. To reach it, one has to take an adventurous path after reaching ones’Aham (feeling of “I”) is killed. This is a place of pilgrimage for many religions and nations. The blooming lotus bud is transforming into a flower under the pleasant dawn with the piercing beams. The water in the Sarover is tranquil. MICHADS aspires to embrace those values and virtues of Manasa Sarovar.